The Interactive Process
Each accommodation request is different and unique. Consequently, every request is analyzed and processed on a case-by-case basis. However, the general steps of the interactive process typically follow those described below. Anyone involved in the interactive process should not hesitate to ask questions at any point during the process.
The Office for Accessibility and Gender Equity does not share medical information provided by the employee with the department or unit in which they work. The Office will only share information regarding the accommodation requested.
- Employee- complete the COVID-19 Accommodation Request Form. This form must be submitted along with the medical provider's certification of the employee's COVID-19 related medical condition or disability. If the completion of this form is difficult, contact the Office for Accessibility and Gender Equity for a verbal request.
- The forms once completed should be submitted to the Office for Accessibility and Gender Equity. The forms can be submitted electronically, faxed, or mailed. Once submitted or a verbal request is made, the Office will review the request and assign the request to the appropriate ADA representative.
- Office for Accessibility and Gender Equity | Email: email@example.com | Fax: (352) 392-5268
- The ADA Case Manager will review the accommodation request to ensure all required documentation is present for the interactive process.
- The Medical Review Team will evaluate the accommodation request.
- A written response will be provided for each request once the interactive process is concluded. The disposition of each request will be either approved, modified, or, denied with reasons. This written response will be submitted to all those who attended the accommodation meeting.
- Written confirmation of receipt of request – upon receipt of the accommodation request, notification will be provided to the employee requesting an accommodation by either email, phone call, or letter.
- Time frame for processing requests – depending upon the circumstances, each employee’s request will be handled as expeditiously as possible. For those cases where medical documentation is forthcoming or when special equipment or construction is required each case will be handled on a one-to-one basis with the goal of not exceeding 30 working days.